Increase your click-through rate
At GetYourGuide, we want to help you optimize our products on your website. It's why we identified — based on machine-learning techniques and partner data research — our best practices to increase your click-through rate (CTR).
Before we jump into our recommendations, let's briefly recap our partnership model. You have three ways to display our products on your website: links, activity widgets, and city widgets. The CTR is the metric that calculates the number of visitors you deliver to GetYourGuide divided by the number of visitors you have on your website.
Widgets or links? Which type of integration will increase my conversions?
Both! Our data shows that content with links and widgets generates a higher CTR. Ideally, 80% of the content on your site should have both types of integrations.
Widgets display your content in a more visual way, which grabs your visitor’s attention. The combination of widgets and links and a call to action influences your CTR.
How many links or widgets should I use in an article?
When it comes to widgets, three or more per article generate a higher CTR. Combining links with widgets in your page increases your conversion. The ideal number of integrations by page is 10.
How many articles should I choose?
Travelers often consult several pages before deciding to book a tour or activity. Our analysis shows that partners who integrate GetYourGuide in more than 50% of their articles see a positive impact on their CTR.
Check this article on linking the right inventory
Should I use different tour and activity affiliate programs in the same article?
Your reader is searching for the best things to do on their vacation — and that’s a lot of decisions to make. One of our GetYourGuide brand values is ‘curing chaos’, so for a smoother customer experience, we recommend using one tours and activities partner per article. No need to just take our word for it, either — our research shows that partners with over 90% of GetYourGuide links and widget experience a higher CTR.
How can I compare my performance to the GetYourGuide benchmark?
We’re thrilled to share our exciting new analytics feature: the integration analyzer. As one of top requests from our partners, we hope this is a valuable tool for understanding your link and widget performance.
By installing our analytics code globally on your website, you get all user interactions combined with GetYourGuide performance data, like:
- Insights into your best-performing links, widgets, and pages
- Which content is most engaging with click-through rates
- Integration health status
Check this article on how to install the integration analyser.
We’d love to hear from you! Please let us know if you find these recommendations helpful and what additional tour recommendations you would like to see on the Resource Center.
Improve your conversion rate
In today’s digital affiliate landscape, simply knowing how many people saw your affiliate links or widgets isn’t enough. Understanding your conversion rate helps to completely close the loop by telling you the percentage of people who saw the affiliate link, clicked, and completed a booking! If you can get a reader engaged enough to click on an affiliate link, this should carry through to complete the booking.
How do we calculate conversion rate?
Let’s say that in August, you send 100 visits to GetYourGuide via one of your affiliate links, and you get two bookings. This means your conversion rate for that integration in that month is 2%. With our partner program, a healthy conversion rate starts at 3% and can reach 6% and above for the top 25% of partners.
How to achieve a healthy conversion rate
When analyzing a specific integration, start by asking some questions. Are you using the right language or keywords? How strong is your call to action? What stands out about the tour? Does it have potential to convert?
Two steps you need to consider are:
- What actions to take when integrating the affiliate link or widget
- What actions to take when choosing conversion-driven tours
Here are our 7 top tips for boosting your conversion rate:
1. Incorporate your integrations naturally
Native links naturally integrated in your content generate the most conversions.
2. Combine links with widgets
- Start experimenting with widgets by including them at the end of your article with personal recommendations.
- Avoid putting widgets into blind zones (areas of your webpage where advertising is usually placed) and instead insert them naturally in your content.
3. Create GetYourGuide brand awareness
Your audience might not know GetYourGuide yet. Tell your readers why you trust us: a personal introduction is key for higher conversions!
The best way to explore Barcelona is by following your stomach. The capital of Catalonia houses all types of delicious dishes that are waiting to be discovered. One of the best ways to find them is to take a food tour with a local. You can find a list of food tours (including price and reviews) here at GetYourGuide. I use GetYourGuide when I want to uncover new things to do in my favorite destinations. They’re easy to use and book with, and I’ve explored the best of my destination with their tours.
4. Highlight as many benefits of booking a tour or activity as possible
Ppeople and search engines need to understand what a post is about and how it will answer the reader’s question. It’s only through clear development of a problem that you can later associate an affiliate with the solution.
Problems to solve, examples:
- Why should you buy online? Special block about buying tickets online
- Why should you buy at GetYourGuide? Pros’ / cons’ why to buy at GetYourGuide
- Why should you skip the line? Why booking skip-the-line is good
- Is it more expensive No extra costs / native language / save stress & time / convenient /
- Credibility matters: add real testimonials
- Showcase number of reviews
5. Compare the different products on offer
This allows your readers to have all the relevant information and pick the right tour for them.
Examples: Use top 10 lists, comparison tables
6. Choose an effective CTA to grab your readers’ attention
- Distinguish CTAs with a different colour.
- Use clear ‘Book now’ buttons.
- Include persuasive points like ‘last-minute availability’, ‘skip the line’, ‘best-sellers’ and ‘top picks’.
7. Select tours with the best conversion potential
How can you do that?
– Look at the average rating of the tour (the higher the better)
– Check the number of reviews for the tour (the more the better)
– Check if it’s an Originals experience, a bestseller, or a new activity
Increase AOV (Average Order Value)
Your average order value, or AOV, is your total value of bookings divided by your total number of bookings.
For example — if your total booking value is €2,000 and your total number of bookings is 20, this means your AOV is €100.
You can easily calculate your AOV in the partner portal — just head to the ‘bookings’ tab and choose your time period.
To put it simply — the higher the value of your bookings, the more revenue you generate.
Try promoting activities with a high AOV, like: day trips, luxury tours, or bundled tours.
By featuring different options for the same activity, your content can appeal to your whole audience. Depending on their budget or travel style, followers can choose between a standard product or a deeper experience at a higher price point.
For more information, check out this video: